Wreaked Zaku II diorama

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Greg Bryan

March 26th, 2020, 1:55 am

After building many Bandai Master Grade models over the years I've decided to do something different with one of them for a change. Normally I build each one looking it's best then put it in the display case with the others. However this time I'm building a Zaku II wreak diorama.

Though the idea of this project had been floating around in my head for a while I've recently came in possession of an ideal candidate. Now in the storyline of the Gundam series the Zaku II was a lot like the Sherman tank from WWII. It was used everywhere and tons of them were destroyed. So also like how wreaked Sherman tanks can be found rusting away in the jungles and other wilderness areas so could many wreaked Zakus.

Now I've started work much like any other Master Grade with painting the cockpit. Only I added wire hanging from the ceiling and painted as if everything had a layer of rust covering it. Next I started planning out the battle damage for the rest of the Zaku starting with the right leg. I'm keeping to the front and right side of the leg and not going to go much further up the leg then just above the knee. I may or may not do any damage on the left leg later on. Just as I'm not sure if I'm doing any damage to the right arm yet.

However where the left shoulder armor is concerned I do want it damaged to show off the inner structure. However I'm probably going to stop there where damage on the arms and legs is concerned. At least until I've done the construction of the Zaku's torso.
SAM_0914.JPG
SAM_0915.JPG
SAM_0916.JPG
SAM_0917.JPG
Greg Bryan

March 31st, 2020, 7:20 pm

Work on the Zaku II is progressing well with assembly and painting mostly done on the inner skeleton. Just as I've got most of the the battle damage done on the exterior armor. Now I've decided against adding any damage to the right arm and left leg.

Now I'm going to have to remove all of the exterior armor to paint it but I did a mock up to see several things. The most important is so I can plan out the layout for the base. After seeing several other dioramas I'm going to have it's back resting against a cliff face with possibility a river or other water feature around it's feet. Also whether or not I'm going to incorporate a second Mobile Suit like I was originally planning or just have the Zaku as the main focus of the diorama.

Now I had done some initial planing using another Zaku II from my collection but unfortunately the differences in the two models made it hard to make decisions. Granted I could have used the other Zaku II from my collection that's closer to this one but I've got it tucked into a corner of my display case that's hard to get to.
SAM_0931.JPG
SAM_0932.JPG
l
SAM_0933.JPG
SAM_0934.JPG
SAM_0936.JPG
SAM_0937.JPG