Bandai Master Grade Strike Freedom Gundam

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Greg Bryan

March 3rd, 2020, 5:39 pm

I've got parts I ordered and I'm ready to start my 1/100 scale Bandai Master Grade Strike Freedom Gundam. Now I'm still looking to replace the hands but while I'm looking at what's available I can still start working on the Gundam.

As with all my Master Grades this work begins with painting the cockpit and figures. Now this one also includes a second standing figure. So I don't only get two little Kira Yamato figures but also Lacus Clyne one to paint. Thankfully I have a bonus card print of both characters included in my basic 1/100 scale Strike Freedom model I built a decade or two ago. Even so I needed to break out the DVDs so could paint the sitting figure.

I also decided to modify the cockpit some like I did with the Wing Zero I built several years ago. I went ahead a made a little instrument console in front of the figure. Now I've got to do a little experimentation with paint tones before I start building the inner frame of the body. I'm also going to build the base from the detail kit at this time to give me a heads up on any modifications I'll need to make to use it.
SAM_0858.JPG
SAM_0863.JPG
SAM_0862.JPG
Greg Bryan

March 9th, 2020, 5:34 pm

I've got both the bases assembled for the Strike Freedom Gundam. After building the aftermarket base I decided to temporarily put together the one that came with the Gundam so I could compare the two. It's easy to see that the new base is taller, wider, and just more bulker than the kit supplied one.

I've also picked up several more things I need to complete the Gundam. First is a Zaku II that I'm steeling the hands for the Gundam. Next is some empty paint jars I need due to having to mix a custom gold tone for painting the inner frame.
SAM_0878.JPG
SAM_0879.JPG
SAM_0880.JPG
SAM_0881.JPG
SAM_0882.JPG
Greg Bryan

March 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm

I've got the inner skeleton for the Strike Freedom Gundam built and painted. I've also got the panel lines blackened leaving only a few silver details left to paint. I mixed up my own custom gold paint using acrylic insignia yellow and gold. Then once I was to that point I began painting and putting on the armor and the head. I decided instead of black I painted the darker sections of armor dark sea blue since that's closer to what the plastic is molded in.

Also due to all the clear plastic parts on the aftermarket base I'm using the kit supplied one to support the Gundam while spraying clear coat. Now these clear parts are the support the arms holding the drones for the dragoon system making me decide to build and paint them while I was at it.
SAM_0891.JPG
SAM_0890.JPG
SAM_0889.JPG
SAM_0898.JPG
SAM_0892.JPG
SAM_0893.JPG
SAM_0894.JPG
SAM_0895.JPG
SAM_0896.JPG
SAM_0897.JPG
Greg Bryan

March 16th, 2020, 8:50 pm

With most of the armor in place I've decided to go ahead and to see how the support structure for the dragoon system is going to work out. Now just with one side done I can see that it's around two feet wide but I expect once I've got the wings in place and all the rods adjusted it won't be spread out as much.
SAM_0899.JPG
SAM_0900.JPG
SAM_0901.JPG
SAM_0902.JPG
SAM_0903.JPG
SAM_0904.JPG
Greg Bryan

March 20th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Assembly is completed on the Strike Freedom Gundam and I just need to do a few touch ups for it to be done. I've also went ahead and put on the wing effect panels to see how they look in place. Now I also the usual problem we face of where I'm going to put it once it's done.

Due to the wing effect panels it's nineteen inches tall and twenty six inches wide. So it will not fit in my case with my other master grades. Now I know my hobby shop would probably let me put it in their display case but I'll still need to check with them.
SAM_0905.JPG
SAM_0906.JPG
SAM_0907.JPG
SAM_0908.JPG
SAM_0909.JPG
SAM_0911.JPG
SAM_0912.JPG