1:1600 Star Trek Three Ship Set - HLI "Be a Kid Again" Group Build

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
705CO

March 1st, 2020, 1:28 pm

Spencer wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:01 am
It's good for when paint is not enough, but putty is too much.
I've never used the surfacing products, so now that you have told me something about it I will have to change that! Great tip.
"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space."
Spencer

March 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Finally some airbrushing!

I used my Paasche Talon with the 0.38mm needle and around 22 PSI.

A mix of 1 part Tamiya Flat White and 3 parts J.N. Grey for the Enterprise. I thinned it with their X-20A thinner. Pretty happy with the color. I always find Tamiya a bit rough, but not really pebbly. A soft sanding and a rubbing with an old t-shirt will deal with that.

A mix of 2 parts Light Sea Grey and 3 parts Sky Grey for the top surfaces of the D7. No problems here, but it's close to the primer color, so a bit tough to see.

Straight Stynylrez Gloss Black Primer for the BoP. I suck at spraying glossy paint and have never tried a gloss primer, but this went down rather well. I switched to the 0.66mm needle and upped to the pressure to around 26 PSI. A couple blemishes, but I can probably buff some of that out. I might put a couple coats of Future down to before I try out the Metal Color. Overall, I don't have any problems recommending this primer.

Cheers
https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

“Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.”
–Wernher von Braun
Shawn McClure

March 11th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Looking good so far Spencer. I haven't painted with gloss. Sounds like a troublesome paint.

Shawn
I would never belong to a club that would have a person like me as a member.
Spencer

March 11th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Shawn McClure wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Looking good so far Spencer. I haven't painted with gloss. Sounds like a troublesome paint.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn.

It's not terrible, you just gotta make sure you surface is pretty clean and the paint sprays smooth and put it on in thin coats. I live in house with dusty old carpet that should've been replaced years ago, so it's hard to keep my surfaces spotless. Plus the Stynylrez was a bit thicker than I had anticipated, so, there were a couple spots where the paint sputtered at first try. Some of it will show up through the metal paint, cause that what metal paint does, but I can live with it. Subsequent clear coats and a satin finish should also knock that back ...
Dixon Hill

March 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Nice looking work Spencer, on some very small objects! Great technique for holding the Romulan BoP!
Spencer

March 12th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Dixon Hill wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Nice looking work Spencer, on some very small objects! Great technique for holding the Romulan BoP!
Thanks! Those round toothpicks and helping hands are perfect for it.
Spencer

March 26th, 2020, 2:40 am

Bird of Prey has just been hit! With Vallejo's Metal Color Silver that is. I really like this paint.

Sprayed at 15 PSI straight from the bottle. Just make sure your underlying coat is pretty pristine. We'll see whether or not the Elmer's glue masks for the sensors ports come off cleanly after it dries.

Cheers
https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

“Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.”
–Wernher von Braun
Shawn McClure

March 26th, 2020, 4:26 am

Looks great Spencer. That silver looks awesome.

Shawn
I would never belong to a club that would have a person like me as a member.
Dixon Hill

March 26th, 2020, 10:59 am

That really is an awesome looking color!
Spencer

March 26th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Thanks guys!

The final clear coat will be a satin/semi-gloss mix to give a slightly duller look, but the nacelle end caps will be sprayed with Metal Color Chrome and kept shiny.