1:1600 Star Trek Three Ship Set - HLI "Be a Kid Again" Group Build

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Spencer

January 24th, 2020, 4:54 am

Hey everyone,

I'm waiting for supplies to show up for my Klingon Bird of Prey, and ideas to percolate, plus I just took the plunge and got myself a 3D resin printer to toy with; so, I decided to take part in a group build over at Hobby Link International. It's a "Be a Kid Again" build where you take the first kit you built, or one of the first you remember building, and build it again.

The first kit I remember building was from late 1990 and was the Star Trek Three ship set:

It's a box scale kit, but supposedly works out to 1:1600. This is basically an out-of-the-box build, with a few teaks to deal with imperfections and make it work with new decals from JT-Graphics, given the kit is almost 40 years old. You can also airbrush if you want, just no aftermarket parts or lighting shenanigans.

I've washed the parts and joined most of the major subassemblies with either Tamiya extra thin cement or straight MEK.

I am now working on the seams of the Bird of Prey, both scraping and Bondo putty. The D7 needs a LOT of seam work and the Enterprise has some grid lines to sand away.

I'll also be doing a couple other group builds over at HLI, since they're throwing those around. Don't necessarily want to plug the site too much, but it's a really nice, friendly community. It's more about the day-to-day and is where I put frequent little things.

I mainly use these forums for longer, meatier updates. I've avoided the Facebook beast and will try to continue to do so ...

Cheers
https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

“Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.”
–Wernher von Braun
Spencer

February 1st, 2020, 12:59 am

Another round of putty and sanding on the Three Ship Set.

The BoP is ready for primer, but I still need to scribe new circles on the Enterprise saucer.

The D7 is, uh, well let's just say there's going to need to be some Apoxie Sculpting where the main hull meets the pylons. The steps are WAY to big to sand down and I wouldn't trust that much Bondo.

Also picked up a rattle can of the Rustoleum gray professional primer. It's supposed to be a decent match to the Enterprise. It should at least make a good primer coat.

For more on that, you can check out Kenny's (Moonwalker Model's) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m9l260kkcE

Cheers
Simi

February 1st, 2020, 1:59 am

Right on! What's the approximate length of the D7 on this kit? Just curious - I haven't built this one. Good luck and keep posting on this build.

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good. As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.
Spencer

February 1st, 2020, 3:28 am

Simi wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 1:59 am
What's the approximate length of the D7 on this kit?
A little under 6 inches (~ 5 3/4"). It looks to be molded after the D7 from the animated series, with the extended photon launcher and somewhat sleeker frame.
Spencer

February 4th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Just a little tease ...

starsiegeplayer

February 6th, 2020, 2:06 am

Nice! Looking forward to seeing them painted.
Spencer

February 6th, 2020, 4:23 am

Thanks.

They're ready for primer now, but that won't happen until the weekend.

Shawn McClure

February 6th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Looks good so far Spencer.

Shawn
I would never belong to a club that would have a person like me as a member.
Spencer

February 9th, 2020, 5:43 pm

First coat of primer down. I got impatient waiting for the weather to warm up, so I turned on the booth fans and sprayed some Tamiya Primer. I normally airbrush that to conserve it, but was itching to see some paint.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the results. Just a couple little spots to deal with.

Cheers

https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

“Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.”
–Wernher von Braun
Shawn McClure

February 10th, 2020, 2:56 pm

They look cool even like that.

Shawn
I would never belong to a club that would have a person like me as a member.