Nova Class 1:677 Resin Kit (Canadian Starships)

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Canadian Starships

January 22nd, 2020, 6:01 am

Side project time! My Enterprise E kit is still in production but I am starting another kit as a side project in parallel with the E - The Nova Class 1:677 scale resin Kit.

Week 01 First steps on the Nova class ship is to recreate much of the parts for the model kit. Several of the parts are badly warped and one broke while trying to flatten it out under hot water.

Picture 1: The whole kit laid out on the table. Not many parts, but a lot of work on parts needs to be done before regular assembly, paint and lighting can commence.

Picture 2: Created molds of the two main parts of the ship. This has been my first time making mods and I've learned so much already.

Picture 3: Got some good casts of the top and bottom of the ship. I decided to recast most of the ship so that I was working with a consistent type of resin. This is my first resin build.

Picture 4: A mold of the nacelle pylons and the first attempt at embedding the wires into the pylons. The casting was great, but the black wires didn't sit properly into the cavity I created for them and ended up with one end fully encapsulated in the part. The second casting is currently setting in the mold.
Attachments
Week01Pic01.JPG
Week01Pic02.JPG
Week01Pic03.JPG
Week01Pic04.JPG
Canadian Starships

January 27th, 2020, 4:52 am

The first update video for my side project, the 1:677 scale Clear Resin Nova Class Starship is now available to watch. In this update I'll introduce you to the kit, show you the parts and work on molding and casting the kit to solve a bit of a problem I ran into. You can watch the update here:

youtu.be/MgnDmzceWSg
Canadian Starships

February 1st, 2020, 2:59 am

Some of last night's efforts on my Nova Class side project: The top and bottom half of the ship have been coated with Adhesion Promoter. Starting to make and apply window masks on both the outside and inside before light blocking the inside and priming the outside.
Attachments
Week 3 04.JPG
Week 3 05.JPG
Week 3 06.JPG
Canadian Starships

February 2nd, 2020, 4:42 am

Tonight's work on my Nova Class Project: Placing down a few masks may not look like much progress at first glance, but consider the shape of the ring on the bridge. My problem was... how to make the masks the right shape. Well, enter molding silicon. Poured a small amount into the bridge well and made a rubber ink stamp. Stamped the image onto tape and hand cut the masks. I think it turned out quite well, just a little time consuming!
Attachments
Week 3 08.JPG
Week 3 09.JPG
Week 3 10.JPG
Week 3 11.JPG
Dixon Hill

February 15th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Looks amazing CS! I applaud your mettle, cutting your own window masks! Is that painters tape?
Canadian Starships

February 22nd, 2020, 4:43 am

Thanks, and yes, it is painters tape. Fiddly detail work!