TOS NCC-1701 1/1000 Polar Lights

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
705CO

March 20th, 2020, 12:02 am

LED placement in the main hull complete.
On the left: the lower saucer. Red/green formation lights, four white LEDs, all '-' lines connected together. While I typically solder the resistors to the '-' side, for some reason they are on the '+' lines for the formation lights. Nevertheless, the lights work just fine. The four white LEDs are each aimed at a part of the saucer without windows to (hopefully) limit the glare effect.

On the right: the upper saucer. White formation lights and one white light for the central lights. After putting the lights in place a test showed the formation lights were too bright. Thus the reason for another resistor added to the '+' line. Lights for general illumination were wired to 1K resistors while the formation lights were ~5K. Somehow I forgot this and wired this pair with 1Ks. So, I needed more resistance.

Wires and resistors are secured in place with a combo of two methods: strip styrene and the new clear gorilla glue. This new kind of GG doesn't foam up and is very clear when dry, like epoxy.

So the saucer has 9 LEDs. The secondary hull will have three or four, and the nacelles one each for a total of 14 or 15.
TOS-29.jpg
In case anyone is interested I have a spool of wire wrapping wire that has about 8 colors. Red/orange/yellow/green are always '+', while black/blue/purple are '-'. Sometimes white is '-', but I tend to forget the convention and from time to time blow up LEDs. ;)
"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space."
RossW

March 20th, 2020, 1:34 pm

705CO wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 12:02 am
In case anyone is interested I have a spool of wire wrapping wire that has about 8 colors. Red/orange/yellow/green are always '+', while black/blue/purple are '-'. Sometimes white is '-', but I tend to forget the convention and from time to time blow up LEDs. ;)
I just switched to using wire wrapping wire (I had to buy separate rolls of different colours, though) from magnet wire and much prefer it. Too late to re-do the primary hull and interconnecting neck of my 1/350 TOS E kit, but as I needed to re-do the lighting in the secondary hull I used it there.

I use a similar colour-coding strategy and have also goofed with +/- and poofed an LED. Good thing there are appropriate curse words to utter in such situations.
705CO

March 21st, 2020, 8:45 pm

Ready to start some priming! These pics are larger than normal to preserve some details.

First pic shows the two saucer sections soldered together. A test afterward was a success. The exposed wires are insulated using fabric paint, which dries pretty tough. I think the brand is Imagin (purchased at Michael's). The light blocking is done with Tulip fabric paint which is not as thick and easier to paint on.
TOS-30.jpg
The second pic shows the assembled nacelle struts (ready for priming to evaluate the seams), the light added to the deflector (the core of which will be painted bronze before assembly), the secondary hull halves (all lights/wires/struts/deflector will be added before the halves are joined), the warp nacelles (awaiting priming to evaluate seams), and the primary hull which is currently drying some epoxy and fabric paint.
TOS-31.jpg
While the saucer joint is pretty good, I am expecting some putty work to fix light leaks.
"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space."
705CO

March 23rd, 2020, 9:25 pm

Gave all the assemblies (and the deflector) a coat of primer to evaluate seams (where necessary). A little bit of additional work needed on the nacelles, and the saucer edge will need some CA. The struts are G2G. Now to finish up the spaghetti factory explosion in the secondary hull and prep to seal it up!
dirkpitt289

March 24th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Not that there is anything wrong with the larger kits but i like to see people go that extra mile on the little ones. This is awesome!
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dirk-Pitt ... 7196064920

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dixon Hill

March 26th, 2020, 10:53 am

Very nice work on what suddenly seems like a fairly small subject! Although this is how big models always were when I was a kid! I may end up doing one of these myself one of these days. Good luck with the seal up....I’ve always referred to that as a “significant emotional event”. 😁🙏🏻
MSgtUSAFRet

March 29th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Scott,

That is ALOT of wire for so small a scale! But you are doing an awesome job of this!

Side note: I noticed the "R" on the open saucer; is that for "red light"? If so, I like that; it reminds me of me. I do that all the time - make notes to myself so I put the right pieces where they should go.

Keep pressing onward for the high prize!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!
705CO

March 30th, 2020, 12:24 am

@Steve, yep, the R was a reminder to place the port running light. There was also a G on the other side...of course.

Just about done with the wiring fun. First pic is the saucer. It is sealed up, but the seam needs a bit of work.
The wires from the saucer will need three connections: the yellow is positive for the navigation lights, the purple and black are common (-), and the red lines are for the 'always on' lights.
TOS-32.jpg
The secondary hull is much more of a challenge. Five LEDs are attached to the port side and dish. This includes the stern light, two lights for the main portion and two SMDs for the neck. And, as I post this, I realize I made a mistake with the stern light. The + line for this needs to be separate because it is not 'always on.' Fortunately, I have room to work and provide a separate wire.
TOS-33.jpg
Only four wires will leave the hull when assembly is complete. One common (-), and one positive for each: always on lights, navigation lights and stern lights.

Next up, cement the strut assembly to the port side of the secondary hull and solder wires together.
CosmicBunny

April 1st, 2020, 4:49 pm

Very cool build :)
I like this small scale space ships, its amazing what you can do with them. I have the NX-01 build with lights. And the refit and reliant in the box. The TOS Enterprise is on my wish list to buy- always love the classic.

I guess its not easy to do the window lights in the neck. Not much room there for LEDs or tape.
705CO

April 1st, 2020, 9:15 pm

the neck is difficult. you have to run power to the saucer and try to light it. There is one SMD LED at the base of the neck aimed upward (it's on top of that small bit of styrene), and another about half way up facing forward. With the interior painted white it lights up pretty well.

The saucer section is not quite as bright, but we will see how it turns out.