TOS NCC-1701 1/1000 Polar Lights

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
705CO

January 31st, 2020, 1:31 am

@Steve, One of the most obvious non-canon things I am going to do is have--wait for it--round windows. The way to do rectangles is to overdrill and then mask. I did that on my Tian 'An 'Men kit years ago and am unlikely to do it again, though the result was nice.

For this kit I am using two sizes of drill bits. I'll check, but I think they are #57 and #63. #63 for the secondary hull and neck, #57 for the primary hull. The #63 is just about as wide as the rectangles on the decals.

-Scott
"I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."
705CO

February 1st, 2020, 6:49 pm

before and after with drilling out the primary hull windows. Is it me or were windows never actually shown in TOS?
Next up will be the issue of the nacelles and the struts, figuring out lighting, and starting to light block.
TOS-11.jpg
decals and some duplicates used for placement. More than shown in canon
TOS-12.jpg
and after tapping them out with a pinvise and #57 bit
TD1701

February 11th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Nice work drilling out all of those windows! I like the technique you used to mark the locations. Looks great and I can't wit to see the updates! :D

Tom
RossW

February 13th, 2020, 2:58 pm

705CO wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 6:49 pm
before and after with drilling out the primary hull windows. Is it me or were windows never actually shown in TOS?
Next up will be the issue of the nacelles and the struts, figuring out lighting, and starting to light block.

TOS-11.jpg
TOS-12.jpg
In the old days, we'd light up our starships with fibre optic strands so round holes were the only way to go. I still have my AMT 18" Enterprise done up that way.

Note sure what you mean by "Is it me or were windows never actually shown in TOS?" - you can definitely see that the windows were lit on the 11' studio miniature.
705CO

February 15th, 2020, 1:32 am

RossW wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 2:58 pm
Note sure what you mean by "Is it me or were windows never actually shown in TOS?" - you can definitely see that the windows were lit on the 11' studio miniature.
Ah. I mean from the inside. Every Star Trek shows windows when you look at the ship from the outside. I am fairly certain there were never windows shown from the inside of the ship in ToS. Just view screens.
705CO

February 15th, 2020, 2:03 am

The hull sections have been light blocked using matte white, flat black and then gloss white.
Sealing surfaces were masked using micro liquid mask. In a couple of places you will notice gaps where I'll have to touch up.

After painting I cleaned up the windows. The second pic shows a test against a 100W bulb. Should be good with small LEDs.
TOS-13.jpg
light blocked, though some parts need to be recovered
TOS-14.jpg
a nice test against a much brighter than needed light
705CO

February 15th, 2020, 2:05 am

To get power to the nacelles channels were cut in the struts. To do this I fitted the assembly together, drilled a hole for each side at the base of the strut, then drew lines from the hole to the alignment pins at the nacelle end. This gave me a line to follow on the upper and lower surface so they would line up. For the nacelles I'm using wire wrapping wire, and these mods are enough for two strands (+,-).
TOS-15.jpg
channels for wires cleared with a Dremel
705CO

February 15th, 2020, 2:07 am

The secondary hull fits together pretty well, but after removing the snap to fit pits and opening up the sockets to allow test fitting, it doesn't quite fit together as nicely as I'd like. So, I will clamp the sections together and give them 15 minutes in the oven at 170F.
TOS-16.jpg
Shaw

February 15th, 2020, 2:28 am

705CO wrote:
I am fairly certain there were never windows shown from the inside of the ship in ToS. Just view screens.
If you're looking for windows in TOS, watch The Conscience of the King and The Mark of Gideon. The cabins were originally intended to have windows, but they were later covered.

Best of luck on this build! It is looking great so far.
RossW

February 15th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Shaw wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 2:28 am
705CO wrote:
I am fairly certain there were never windows shown from the inside of the ship in ToS. Just view screens.
If you're looking for windows in TOS, watch The Conscience of the King and The Mark of Gideon. The cabins were originally intended to have windows, but they were later covered.

Best of luck on this build! It is looking great so far.
Beat me to it.