Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope you got many models and model stuffs under your tree this year!
Real life got the best of my posting time but not bench time! It helps when the build is for a Christmas present!
Greg, Oh I see! Unfortunately, due to deadlines and haste, I forgot to put the fishing weights in the nose. Not that I didn't buy them - I was so focused on finishing, I didn't place them. :/ Drat!Greg Bryan wrote: ↑December 9th, 2019, 6:44 amIt's not that the space is small but rather you need to position the weight in such a way that it's not visible. For the compartment in question has a open doorway allowing you to see inside from the bomb bay. That I didn't want to block off to allow light to pass through to the cockpit and nose. I had to place weight along the interior of the fuselage halves and the underside of the cockpit cockpit floor then painted it green to match the rest of the interior.
Dan, thanks for the comments and thoughts. I hadn't thought to look for metal parts for the kit. I should have followed Greg's suggesting and made the landing gear out of brass pipes. Although, how the landing gear attaches would also need a redesign to support the weight, too. Alas, I didn't have time to research either. Another lesson learned. I told my FNL about the weight distribution issue as well and, since he does pinewood derby cars, he made the same suggestion for adding weights to the nose as you did.Dan840 wrote: ↑December 10th, 2019, 5:25 amHey Steve! Nice work so far. A couple of thoughts. Have you checked to see if there are metal landing gear available for this kit? Not sure if there are or not, but worth looking into maybe. Also, While prowling the model/hobby aisle at Hobby Lobby, I noticed different sizes and shapes of aluminum weights used in Pinewood Derby cars. Maybe you could find some appropriate dimensions that would fit from those.
Still, I appreciate the tip and comments.
Scott, thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that either and I had already sealed the engines when I read this. I do have another airplane build coming up for my SNL and I will think this issue through before I build. Thank for the tip.
Welp, SOOOOO many lessons learned and, prime of which, haste makes waste.
But here are some highlights of the build:
I placed the gunners nest in the body of the plane. I even placed the open window hatch to the fuselage. It was then I realized, I had a decal I should have placed before I glued the piece down.
And the decal placed...
I also placed the cockpit and the bombardier. This was a bit more difficult as there a placement peg in the way. The peg was removed and the piece placed.
My FNL also said he may try and place weights behind the nose wheel as there seems to be a space between the wheel well and the bomb bay.
I painted the engine facade silver, as shown, but it looked a little too clean. So I added black to the flat surfaces (not engine part) and added a wash to the engine to simulate the oil and grease in the engine.
This pic shows a lot of progress. I masked off and painted the ice boots on the wings, painted and place the engine facade and engine cowlings.
This part was interesting, too. I masked the tail rudders and the tail assembly to paint the ice boots. I had to eyeball the curves as the rudders aren't exactly straight anywhere. Whew!
While the tail assembly and rudders were drying, I fitted the wings to the fuselage. I had to modify the wings and the fuselage to get them to seat properly; which involved filing away some of the ice boot paint closest to the hull. But, with patience (NOT!) I finally got them seated. I had to place it vertically on the bench to make sure gravity kept the parts married for the glue to fully cure.
I'll be posting more later but, again and always, thanks for the comments and for reading the posts!
Chat with you later!