Building a base for Star Trek TOS

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
BillRankin

June 4th, 2019, 1:47 am

I have found a couple of videos that talk about how to build a case, but do not go into much detail. Does anyone know where I could find more details advice about building a base? I want to house all pc boards in the base (except for Brussards, of course). For example, the connection (or connector) when moving the model for transportation.
nkaltso

August 13th, 2019, 2:09 am

Ive moved on to 1/2" MDF bases that I build my self

I start off with the top in the shape I want. Then I glue strips of wood around so I can make the inside hollow.

A little wood putty, primer paint, dont for get the sanding and you're done.

Also, Make sure your post hole for the model does not go all the way through

Give it a try its easy

Nick
Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
BillRankin

August 13th, 2019, 2:18 am

What was the reason for moving on to MDF board? Is there a particular advantage, or is it just easier to work with?
nkaltso

August 13th, 2019, 10:31 am

its made of saw dust so its easy to sand and fill.
I noticed it was all they used on the router edges of my house, so i gave it a try,

It works well, at the store I even look for a discounted damaged sheets. To bring cost down/
Then I cut it into squares right way to have a stock pile when i need a base.

Hope that helps
NIck
Tshark

August 13th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Here is a YouTube video of the display case I built for my TOS Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OybIPHD7j8&t=10s

All materials were bought at Home Depot. The base is from a small sheet of MDF chalk board bordered by wood base board with a 3/16" acrylic front panel. The display cover was from a sheet of 1/8" acrylic.

All the electronics are mounted inside the base.
Complete build 006.jpg
Hope this helps.
BillRankin

August 13th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Thank you!, ...much appreciated!
nkaltso

August 14th, 2019, 1:44 am

Tshark, Nice Clean example

Good Work

NIck
Tshark

August 14th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Thanks guys. This was the first time I made an acrylic display case. It's not that hard(we are used to working with plastics), you get a custom size, and it is much cheaper than purchasing a commercial built case. The tools required are minimal and there are plenty of internet tutorials on working with acrylics.
BillRankin

August 15th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Tip on blackening out the inside of the model (1/600 TOS).

Did you cover the alignment holes and their mating part, before spray painting? I did and it prevented paint from getting inside the hole, but it also blocked the paint from minute surface areas on the inside.

I am wondering if blackening out the inside would be easier and more complete if I did not use tape and just cleaned up the mating surfaces with Acetone prior to mating with cement glue. Perhaps use toothpicks for the holes and nothing on the mating surfaces?

Anyone is welcomed to chime in.

Thanks!
Tshark

August 16th, 2019, 1:08 pm

I use toothpicks for the alignment holes and then a light sanding to remove any paint on glue surfaces.