Space:1999 Eagle 1 1/72 Scale

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
705CO

August 15th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Looking very sweet. Now I am wondering what size mine is...I think it is smaller. I like your take on the paneling--an example of how kit building involves art when you want it to.
"Maybe someday I'll think of something witty and original."
TD1701

August 16th, 2019, 2:01 am

Thank you Sir!

A lot of what I painted was inspired from the episode Dragon's Domain. I found an HD version online and it seemed to have some of the clearest shots of the paneling. Other inspirations were the MPC display models and other builds I've seen around the message boards.

Tom
Madhatter

August 16th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Nice build! I have the 48th scale Eagle that I am thinking I might build as a break from the Star Destroyer. I keep looking at Eagle builds and they are really taking my fancy more each day. If I do start it, I'm thinking of a red and black beak with a black fame and red internals. Something other than white and gray. Sacrilege I know but it just feels right in some way
I'll be watching this one come along in the mean time. Certainly getting me inspired to do it for sure
MSgtUSAFRet

August 16th, 2019, 11:44 pm

See Tom! I told you your paint job was AWESOME!

Scott even called it "ART"! Outstanding!

Love the look of it, too. You have done a very clean job of it and the multi-colors.

Keep this up and we'll be calling you "Guru" next! :)

Seriously - great work Tom!

Keep going!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!
TD1701

August 18th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Madhatter wrote:

Nice build! I have the 48th scale Eagle that I am thinking I might build as a break from the Star Destroyer. I keep looking at Eagle builds and they are really taking my fancy more each day. If I do start it, I'm thinking of a red and black beak with a black fame and red internals. Something other than white and gray. Sacrilege I know but it just feels right in some way
I'll be watching this one come along in the mean time. Certainly getting me inspired to do it for sure
Thanks a lot Madhatter! You build yours however they way you want to. That's the great thing about this hobby is we can improvise and make whatever variation we want on our kits. I say go for it, do it how you want to, and I will follow along as eagerly as your Star Destroyer build!
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:

See Tom! I told you your paint job was AWESOME!

Scott even called it "ART"! Outstanding!

Love the look of it, too. You have done a very clean job of it and the multi-colors.

Keep this up and we'll be calling you "Guru" next! :)

Seriously - great work Tom!

Keep going!

Steve
Ahhhhhhh, you are too kind Steve and Scott is too. Don't go calling me a guru or that will go straight to my head.lol! Seriously though with the encouragement of my wife I always try to stay humble so when you fellas compliment my work it means a lot. :D Thanks for the compliment on the colors, I did my best to mix the colors and give them some variation. I used Model master light gray and MM light gray with about 10 or so drops of MM flat black added to it for the darker shades.

I did make one change on the command module though. The large patch on the upper rear on the starboard side I muted down to a small rectangle.

ImageImage Image

Looking at it from the side with a similar large patch on the bottom that you see in the third picture made it look too busy.

I did have a mishap that have to touch up now. :( moving around I tapped the engines against a chair and knocked back panel loose on the rear section. I glued that back easily enough but chipped some paint on the engines.

Since I rattle can sprayed these parts i will have to figure how I can mask and paint without over-spraying the rest of the model. I'll figure something out although i am open to suggestions. I 'll keep you posted.

Tom
starsiegeplayer

August 20th, 2019, 4:40 am

TD1701 wrote:

Since I rattle can sprayed these parts i will have to figure how I can mask and paint without over-spraying the rest of the model. I'll figure something out although i am open to suggestions. I 'll keep you posted.

Tom
I like using plastic cling wrap (such as Saran Wrap) to gently wrap up models for large scale masking like this.
705CO

August 20th, 2019, 10:19 pm

saran wrap. Another new technique to file away!
"Maybe someday I'll think of something witty and original."
Shawn McClure

August 22nd, 2019, 2:47 pm

The model is looking awesome.

I agree with the saran wrap. I keep forgetting about that.

Shawn
I would never belong to a club that would have a person like me as a member.
MSgtUSAFRet

August 23rd, 2019, 1:03 pm

starsiegeplayer wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 4:40 am
TD1701 wrote:

Tom
I like using plastic cling wrap (such as Saran Wrap) to gently wrap up models for large scale masking like this.
Just a heads-up - use the cling wrap stuff - not the self-sealing stuff. I used it on my engines on my current build and, when I took it off, I had a whole bunch of left over "self-cling" residue all over the engines that I had to arduously clean off the ship. Avoid my pit-falls.

Stay strong, Tom! You are doing an exceptional build!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!