Space:1999 Eagle 1 1/72 Scale

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
TD1701

July 10th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Thanks a lot Shawn! I am using a narrow Tamiya tape for the sharp edges and regular masking tape to guard from over spray. I've just completed a number of patterns on the top and sides of the command module. Not sure if I will stay with what I have or mahe a couple of changes. I'm trying to do a combination of my own patterns plus what I can copy from whatever pictures of the original miniature are available.

I may repaint a couple of the panels that I thought were a good idea at the time but don't now that I see them in pictures. The "C" on thee top and the long and short dashes on the starboard side. Saw then on a picture online and didn't quite come out the way I had hoped. Once I am done with this I can finally move on to the passenger pod.

Tom
MSgtUSAFRet

July 11th, 2019, 3:35 am

I dunno Tom, I'm thinking it looks pretty good. But, your build, your way. I'm liking the build.

I still wish I had a clean build like you do! (Either that or work on my presentations!) :lol:

Keep going, Dude! It'll be awesome!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!
TD1701

July 11th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Thanks a lot Steve! I really appreciate the support, and I am glad you're liking it so far. :D Your Enterprise C is looking pretty clean and sharp to me, and the color scheme looks great! I have to admit there has been a lot of masking and a lot of touch ups to get that clean look. My buddy thinks it's OCD on my part more than anything else as far as my concerns about the paint on the command module. I put it aside for a while and worked on the passenger pod. I think it came out real nice and after a little touch up should be good to go. I may add another path or two of lighter panels, we'll see.

Tom

starsiegeplayer

August 1st, 2019, 5:11 am

The paint panels are looking excellent. Will she be done soon?
TD1701

August 1st, 2019, 7:23 pm

Thanks a lot starsiegeplayer! Sorry for the slow progress and lack of posts lately. My airbrush went down a couple of weeks ago and I had to wait for the replacement parts. I have been doing a little touch-up work the last couple of days and hoping to do a little more work over the weekend. I have to add bit more detail to the doors on the passenger pod, but for the most part it's done. I'm going to make a minor change or two to the Command Module so I'm looking to have some updates probably early next week.

Tom
TD1701

August 3rd, 2019, 3:47 am

Hey Guys,

I 'm finally back up and running with my airbrush, and have some real progress. Other than just a minor touch up or two, the passenger pod looks pretty well done. Here are a couple of pictures showing each side.

Also, I pretty well finished up the top of the command module. I may add a couple more patches with a lighter shade then on to the bottom half.

Here it is from the top.

Looking straight on.

This weekend I am going to research more pics of the Eagle to get some ideas of how I may want to paint the bottom of the command module. After that I may add a few more minor panels to the landing pods, glue on the landing gear, and then that should be just about it. hopefully I will have another update soon.

Have a great weekend!

Tom
TD1701

August 4th, 2019, 5:11 am

After looking it over I felt I needed a little something more so I added some shade of light gray to accent some of the patches on the command module. Just a couple here and there to give it a little variety and to make look a little more authentic.

Here it is from the top.

And from the front.

I just hope I am not going over the top with this.

Tom
MSgtUSAFRet

August 4th, 2019, 1:09 pm

TD1701 wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 5:11 am
I just hope I am not going over the top with this.
Nah!

:)

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!
TD1701

August 5th, 2019, 5:19 am

You know what Steve? When you're right, you're right! Today I cleaned up and straightened up some of the edges to make them more sharp and touched up where some of the paint was lifted off by the tape. Also, I painted two more patches on the lower section of each landing pod and those are, other than a couple of minor touch-ups where again the tape lifted up some paint, are pretty much done.

I painted a couple of panels on the bottom of the command module this evening. I think one or two more small ones and that should be plenty.

The thing really challenging about this kit is, other than the detail on the landing pods, there really aren't many true straight lines in the mold. So many things are uneven and trying to line everything up took some doing.

I'm going to have to set this aside for a couple of days and I will post an update as soon as I can get back at it.

Have a great week!

Tom
TD1701

August 14th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since my last update and I've some progress. I'm pretty much done with the paneling and now I am in the touch up phase. Last night I painted the thrusters on the command module and touched up a few of the patches to make them look a little more sharp.

Image Image Image

The Passenger pod.

It's just about ready fro final assembly and decals, and I am getting excited to see what it will look like when it done.

Tom