TOS E 1/350 Custom Circuit Boards

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Post Reply
RossW
Posts: 89
Joined: April 3rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

February 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm

After switching to stepper motors for the spinning warp engine half dome, I've also consolidated all the blinkie code into one board. Apart from the window lighting, this covers everything for the kit:

https://youtu.be/T3_3cDup6UE

Warp Engine Spinning Half Dome via Stepper Motor
The stepper motors I found on Ali Express are small and VERY quiet when using a TMC2208 stepper motor driver board, with no audible whine. They're so much lighter than my Faulhabers (the quietest DC motors I could find previously, but hard to find and quite expensive), and way easier to mount behind the front nacelle kit piece. The board has a rotary encoder to allow me to adjust the speed of the rotation, and an optional SCL/SDA wire connection which eventually I can use to send IR commands from a remote to set the warp speed.

All Blinkies
The Pololu A-Star 328PB has just enough PWM pins to let me do all the blinkies on the ship:

[*] Saucer edge (left/right, top/bottom)
[*] Rear secondary hull strobes
[*] Warp engine multi-coloured blinkies (5 separate lines but each one has 3 LEDs of different colours on it, making 15 total blinking lights)
[*] Warp engine pulsating amber rectangular lights

I'll be posting the code, schematics, boards & list of materials to my Google Drive folder shortly.
User avatar
Spencer
Posts: 258
Joined: April 3rd, 2019, 1:43 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA
Contact:

February 27th, 2020, 5:07 am

Brilliant, as always!

I knew about the 328PB, but didn't realize Pololu had an Arduino compatible board (I haven't been to their site in a while). Guess I need to pay them a visit.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the details. I've been tackling a lighting and control circuit for the 1:350 TOS and Refit.
RossW
Posts: 89
Joined: April 3rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

February 27th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Spencer wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 5:07 am
Brilliant, as always!

I knew about the 328PB, but didn't realize Pololu had an Arduino compatible board (I haven't been to their site in a while). Guess I need to pay them a visit.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the details. I've been tackling a lighting and control circuit for the 1:350 TOS and Refit.
Thanks Spencer!

I also like the Pololu A-Star 32U4 - similar to the Arduino Pro Mini but even smaller.
User avatar
CrowTRobot
Posts: 56
Joined: April 20th, 2019, 11:25 pm

March 3rd, 2020, 2:10 am

RossW wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm
After switching to stepper motors for the spinning warp engine half dome, I've also consolidated all the blinkie code into one board.
Doh! Now he tells me!
I want to decide who lives and who dies!
RossW
Posts: 89
Joined: April 3rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

March 3rd, 2020, 3:16 am

CrowTRobot wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 2:10 am
RossW wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm
After switching to stepper motors for the spinning warp engine half dome, I've also consolidated all the blinkie code into one board.
Doh! Now he tells me!
Oops ;). I can’t help tinkering with this stuff, especially as I learn about new, more powerful boards.
Big Rat
Posts: 6
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 8:10 am

April 11th, 2020, 3:45 am

Brilliant work, Ross! Out of interest, I see the stepper motors you purchased aren’t available from the Alliexpress store any more. I found these, not identical, but sizing seems the same:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3254036 ... hweb201603_

These should work ok, right?
I guess the other thing is how much of your original components list is still applicable to your new boards? I have everything for the original designs. :-P
RossW
Posts: 89
Joined: April 3rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

April 11th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Big Rat wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 3:45 am
Brilliant work, Ross! Out of interest, I see the stepper motors you purchased aren’t available from the Alliexpress store any more. I found these, not identical, but sizing seems the same:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3254036 ... hweb201603_

These should work ok, right?
I guess the other thing is how much of your original components list is still applicable to your new boards? I have everything for the original designs. :-P
These do appear similar, although mine have a 15 deg step angle (these are 18) and my gearbox reduction ratio is 1:41.6666 (these appear to have a few different options; you could try one that is closest to mine).

My stepper motor circuit is totally different to my previous DC motor circuit - there probably isn’t any overlap in components.
Post Reply