Audrino boards Photons and Drydock Start up sequence.

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Shawn McClure

June 11th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I have studied Ostrich Long neck's (Trevor's) videos on building up Arduino boards. He made some great you tube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2_JMe ... /playlists

So here's my thing. In the end of his videos he wraps it all up and makes a board that has all the whistles and bells in this mostly single board. I don't need all that. I just wanting to do either two boards, one with photons, and one with the drydock sequence, or combine them both.

Now the thing is is that he uses a huge mega chip at the end to combine most of the features. I don't need all that stuff. Since he is using say chip "X" to make this all happen, could I just use chip "Y" instead to make only my features happen.

I'm not as concerned about the coding as I am the physical components of the board.

Is there anyone in here that can help me out?

Thank you,
Shawn
I would never belong to a club that would have a person like me as a member.
Spencer

June 21st, 2019, 2:35 am

I skimmed through a a couple of his videos, but didn't look at his sketches in detail, although I am interested in his sound over SPI.

Anyway, from what I can tell, he puts an ATmega328 chip on a breadboard.

I think a simpler, or more direct, solution would be to use two small Arduino boards, namely the Nano or Pro Mini. There are the same as the UNO, which uses the ATmega328 chip, just in a compact size. You can buy those official or get knock offs on ebay. You can also get them without header pins so you can solder wires directly to them and get a lower profile. You get the power of two Arduinos for much less space, and all the circuitry needed to make them work as such is already on the boards.

Some example knock off nanos:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... o&_sacat=0

I personally would use the Sparkfun Pro Mini, which doesn't have the USB circuitry. It saves more space but needs an adapter board or programming cable:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113 (Also check ebay for cheap clones)
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716 (You reuse the adapter board over an over ...)

Split up the stuff not music dependent (navs, strobes, shuttlebay, torpedoes etc.) onto one board and everything startup wise onto another board. Long story short, give the ship a front and hind brain.

You'll definitely need to use transistor circuits too. Hope that helps.

Spencer
https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

“Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.”
–Wernher von Braun
Shawn McClure

June 21st, 2019, 1:30 pm

Thank you Spencer,

I actually had joined the forum group on the Arduino site and after getting railed by them for not knowing anything (not an enjoyable experience for sure) I finally got it figured out.

I ordered the uno nano. They showed me the one without the usb interface but considered me too stupid to figure out how to get the information on the board without the usb interface.

So... I got my board yesterday and hopefully will have some time after the 4th of July to dig into it and wire it up.

Anyway, thank you for your input. It was a lot easier and nicer then how I got the information from the other forum.

Shawn
Spencer

June 21st, 2019, 6:52 pm

That's a shame, given that Arduino is meant for folks who are new to programming micros. I never used their forums ... I could usually Google what I needed. Someone told me that the Arduino forum over at avrfreaks.net can be helpful, but that was a while ago and I can't remember who it was.

Anyway, hope everything goes fruitfully with the nano.

Spencer
Gadgetron_3000

June 22nd, 2019, 3:44 am

Shawn McClure wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 1:30 pm
I actually had joined the forum group on the Arduino site and after getting railed by them for not knowing anything (not an enjoyable experience for sure)
Yeah, the Arduino forums can be rough for the uninitiated.

Many of the members of those types of forums expect that people with questions go in with clear ideas of what they want, and it's expected that an effort is made to first provide an example sketch so that it can be critiqued before suggestions and help are offered.

It's quite a different support community than, say, this one where most of us have almost no problems sharing knowledge freely between people at all levels of experience.

:)
"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

The Model Stash Blog: https://themodelstash.blogspot.com/
Shawn McClure

June 22nd, 2019, 4:24 am

Agreed on both points fellas. This is the best place to be.

The people in that forum expected me to know everything. I said “every journey needs to take that first step. Well, this is my first step.” They thought that was a ridiculous thing to say and that I should just pretty much hang it up.

I was less than pleased. I finally got information but it wasn’t fun getting there.

Shawn
OliverClosehauf

August 22nd, 2019, 8:38 pm

Isn't anyone making a midi style app for Arduino boards? Like a music app for a synth that lets you see your music graphically, but controls an Arduino instead. Emulate what you want to see on screen and then download it to the board.
OCD CREATIONS

September 3rd, 2019, 4:36 am

This is my first post in this forum. I took a 3 year break from building models so I could build a full size R2-D2.It turned out pretty good and I learned a lot about electronics. Arduino,Pololu,L98N H BRIDGE DUAL MOTOR CONTROLLERS, Saber tooth , servos nanos and relays.

Places where I learned: Arduino-home, circuito, XOD IDE Pololu , DroneBot Workshop, James Bruton. hope this is helpful.
I love the smell of zip kicker in the morning.