Davros completed

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
glen10k

September 24th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Heres my attempt at the Mooncrest models 1/6th scale kit of Davros, creator of the Daleks in the Dr Who universe. This is based on the Davros played by Terry Molloy in Resurrection of the Daleks. The kit is extremely well cast and is a mix of resin, plastic and wire. I did substitute a few parts and carried out some modifications for more accuracy using screenshots from the series. This is also my first build for many years as i get back into the hobby again

and here's a couple of screenshots of the man himself. These shots and others like them were invaluable in building the backrest and getting the correct colours for the console
Last edited by glen10k on November 25th, 2019, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glen10k

September 24th, 2019, 11:41 pm

The first part of the build was the skirt and hemispheres, coated with automotive primer, sanded then a satin black applied again from the local car parts store. Hemispheres were primered, coated in gloss black then Alclad aluminium applied

Next was the console, primered then satin black and aluminium applied, switches picked out in various acrylics. The plastic strip underneath is to help line the console up when fixing it to the skirt
glen10k

September 25th, 2019, 12:01 am

Next up was the rear console which i modified, adding white perspex in place of the clear plastic supplied with the kit for more accuracy and building a plasticard lip around the console for it to sit within

I then moved on to what was the most complex part of the build, the backrest. This has to be build from plasticard anyway and a template is provided but for a flat peice of plastic which for some of the early Davros characters is correct but not for this version. As you can see from the screenshot in the first post it bends in a couple of directions and is cut at an angle in the bottom corners and has a slight bend in it. It is also got trim around it which on the original was actually rubber trim used for car doors. Again primered, gloss black then alclad aluminium with a wash of black oil paint to pick out detail and add some depth
glen10k

September 25th, 2019, 12:21 am

Moving onto the figure itself, he comes in 4 parts. Body, head, lower right arm and hand. The hand was left seperate for painting but the rest was assembled, puttied,sanded and primered

And now a big challenge for me and a new style of painting. Having used oils and enamels my whole life i decided i wanted to try my hand with acrylics (Vallejo) as most modellers and figure painters seem to be moving in that direction, getting good results and the lack of odour and strong smells was appealing. I think for a first attempt it has turned out OK. I'm going to persevere with them as i learned alot just from doing this figure. The wire cage was very tricky to build and i bought some 4mm delrin balls to replace the kit ones that are used to join the wire cage together, again for better accuracy and a lack of mould seam. The wire was wrapped around a rod then stretched out and cut to size. The microphone was added last of all
glen10k

September 25th, 2019, 12:33 am

This is where i'm up to at the minute. I'm currently working on a custom made base that i've made out of plasticard, with a namplate, which is almost finished, and the next post should hopefully be the whole lot put together. This is my first post on here so hope it all loads up fine and is not to long winded.
Jatlh

September 26th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Awesome job! I wasn't aware this kit was even out there. I've been transitioning over to acrylic paint, too, for the reasons you've mentioned. I've found it to be difficult, using acrylics, to paint faces as the paint dries so quickly, making it hard to blend in transitions. I find what works for me (presently, anyway) is to "rough in" my paint job with the acrylics, then do shadows and tonal transitions with pastel chalks, applied with a brush. This process is very forgiving, and allows you to layer in a lot of colors. When you're done, seal with a clear matte or gloss spray (Testors, Krylon, etc.), But be aware this will make pastels appear a bit darker with added contrast. Good luck!
Jatlh
glen10k

September 26th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Jatlh wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 3:38 pm
Awesome job! I wasn't aware this kit was even out there. I've been transitioning over to acrylic paint, too, for the reasons you've mentioned. I've found it to be difficult, using acrylics, to paint faces as the paint dries so quickly, making it hard to blend in transitions. I find what works for me (presently, anyway) is to "rough in" my paint job with the acrylics, then do shadows and tonal transitions with pastel chalks, applied with a brush. This process is very forgiving, and allows you to layer in a lot of colors. When you're done, seal with a clear matte or gloss spray (Testors, Krylon, etc.), But be aware this will make pastels appear a bit darker with added contrast. Good luck!
Mooncrest models do a good number of Dr Who kits amongst others plus some props and finished kits. Every few months they post up a few of these for sale but they go quick
https://mooncrestmodels.ecwid.com/Bust- ... s-c4248644

I've seen the pastel method used to good effect. I used a wet pallette which increases the working time of the acrylics and keeps them thin, makes it easier to blend. I used a lot of thin glazes with small graduations in the colour. My first attempt so a long way to go. Plenty of trial and error.
Glad you like the build so far
TK Iain

November 9th, 2019, 6:00 pm

As Glen lives right next door I have seen this one up close and it looks amazing!
Iain

I've Seen Things You People Would'nt Believe
starsiegeplayer

November 20th, 2019, 1:24 am

Nice work!
Dan840

November 20th, 2019, 3:57 am

This is not your first rodeo, is it? Awesome!!👏