1/48 B-24D Liberator

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
MSgtUSAFRet

October 27th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Hey Y'all,

Okay, some of you on the forum may know my and may also know that I mainly do SciFi and mainly Star Trek. So you may understand that this is a real departure for me to even work on some that is representative of real life rather than, ya know, fictional.

I have a lot to learn so, if you follow on, bear with me as I learn and bear with questions that, to you, may seem obvious. :)

My Father-in-law is a real WW2 nut and bought most of the stuff to make this, but his eyesight isn't what it used to be so he has asked me to do it for him. I am trying to get this done before Christmas...so...

Here is what I am trying to build...

My goal is to is to
1) Do a good job
2) Have him feel honored that I thought about him enough to do this for him.

There won't be any lights - unless it goes together faster than I think it will and I want to attempt a diorama as it comes with ground crew and tractor.

So I started of washing the thing. Whoa! Had to move to the bathtub to allow for the wings!

Then I primered it...

...and started on the interior of the fuselage.

I'd never used Zinc Chromite before and it reminds me of days on an AF Base touring the planes!

Anyway, the first thing I had to build was the cockpit and the pilots and bombardier as the cockpit has to be placed before sealing the fuselage together.

It was a bit tedious to get the bombardier positioned to actually look like he was looking at the sights!

Its amazing how much time is taken in doing all the detail painting and, at least at the beginning, how little time is spent in putting the parts together!

Anywoo! Thanks for reading and any constructive comments are welcome!

Thanks!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!
Greg Bryan

November 10th, 2019, 7:23 am

It's looking good. I built this model myself several years ago and I'd like to give you some advice. The forward landing gear is very weak so plan out your nose weight before you get much further into interior detailing and only use as much as is necessary to keep the nose wheel on the ground. I did frequent test fitting of the entire assembly wings tail and fuselage with as much of the interior in place as I could.

Now an advantage of this model is you can assemble the wings and tail before the fuselage as well as the landing gear. The bad news is you only have a small area in the compartment over the forward landing gear to put the weight.
MSgtUSAFRet

November 13th, 2019, 1:59 am

Hello Fellow Builders of Art!
Greg Bryan wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:23 am
It's looking good. I built this model myself several years ago and I'd like to give you some advice. The forward landing gear is very weak so plan out your nose weight before you get much further into interior detailing and only use as much as is necessary to keep the nose wheel on the ground. I did frequent test fitting of the entire assembly wings tail and fuselage with as much of the interior in place as I could.

Now an advantage of this model is you can assemble the wings and tail before the fuselage as well as the landing gear. The bad news is you only have a small area in the compartment over the forward landing gear to put the weight.
Thanks Greg! I had thought about using a couple of pennies to weigh the front end down a bit and your advice confirmed the idea! Thanks!

So I made a bit of progress -

Painting some of the details on the interior even though most won't be seen once the build is complete. Still thinking of how to get maybe a mirror on the ground so you can see into the Bomb Bay.

Bombs painted and bomb racks mounted! Plus a bulkhead! It's getting there!

The Gunner's box! Did some detail work before I realized it wouldn't be visible from the outside! :)

The gunners. I had to remove the package on the floor in order to get the gunners in the proper place! Image

It's coming along. It's is amazing how the skills I picked up with building starships so easily translate here!

Thanks, as always for looking and commenting!

Steve
705CO

November 20th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Nice. I like your work on the interior cabling in particular. At 1/48 that beastie will turn out pretty large, and the figures are a lot easier to finish than at 1/72. For nose weights I typically use fishing weights, but pennies are good too. If the landing gear is weak you might be able to add a little styrene or metal.
"Maybe someday I'll think of something witty and original."
Madhatter

November 21st, 2019, 9:38 am

Very cool Steve. I like the Liberator. I remember always wanting to get the Airfix one as a kid (at least I think it was Airfix - it's been a few decades since then :lol: )
It was the twin tail design and that big long flat body that got my attention. It's quite beautiful
You're doing an awesome job on this - - your FIL will love it.

As for your nose weight, hot glue i some fishing lead. Easy
Looking forward to seeing more mate
Si
Shawn McClure

November 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm

That looks really cool Steve. That looks like a tough model to paint and build. The crew look fantastic.

Shawn
I would never belong to a club that would have a person like me as a member.
MSgtUSAFRet

November 23rd, 2019, 3:00 am

Wow! Thanks, guys, for stopping in over here and taking a look! I am extremely honored!

The fishing weights are a good idea - I just dont have any. Greg pointed out that the space for the weight is small. Haven't gotten there in the build to find out - so I dont know my idea of a penny will work or not.

I sincerely appreciate the props!

Since this my first plane, I appreciate the feedback and tips on how to improve!

Thanks again!

Steve