1/48 scale B-17G build

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Greg Bryan

July 3rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

When I started planning out my B-17F build I had the idea to get another B-17G model and build the two B-17s along side each other. I mentioned this to my friend at the hobby shop when I took the B-17F down to show him and got a offer I couldn't pass up. He had a original release of the B-17G model in his stash that had no collector's value. Yet at the same time he would like to seen something done with it.

He would probably never build it and a issue had come up that is delaying my B-17F build. So I choose to except his offer of a twenty dollar B-17G model to build while I'm waiting for the opportunity to continue working on the B-17F.
SAM_4170.JPG
Looking at this release I can see there has been some changes through the years. They changed the top turret some. The silver it's molded in has a more metallic look. Then the tires on the main landing gear were round while newer releases they have flat spots. Ribbing detail on the inside is missing from both sides of the bomb bay and the section of the tail behind the waist gunners positions.

Of course the box art is different including the pictures of the assembled model on the box. The newer releases just show a completely built model while this one shows a cutaway model. Otherwise with the exception of the insignias on the decal sheet being a lighter shade of blue the model isn't any different than the more recent releases of the model

Unfortunately even though there's actually two different decal sheets they are both old and unusable. Even more unfortunate the sheet from the B-17G I bought for parts is already been committed to the B-17F as well. So I've ordered first the insignia, instrument panel, and warning markings set from Kits-World.

Later on I'll then order the necessary decals for the nose art and identification markings for the plane I wish to build it as. In particular I'm leaning towards building this as the Little Patches a one of the more fortunate bombers in the Eighth Air Force. That flew a 100 sorties and served 34 different crews never loosing a crew member.
SAM_4171.JPG
SAM_4172.JPG
SAM_4173.JPG
SAM_4174.JPG
SAM_4175.JPG
SAM_4176.JPG
Greg Bryan

July 9th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I've started work on the B-17G with opening the access passages in the cockpit floor piece. I then opened the doorways in the bulkhead between the radio compartment and waist gunners positions as I have with the B-17F. However I haven't made up my mind yet if I will open the doors on the bulkheads on each side of the bomb bay.

I know from the B-17G model I built several years ago that you are not able to see in the bomb bay due to the windows. Plus it doesn't let the light travel through the model the same way the other door and passages I did open will. So I'm thinking it would probably be best to leave those doors in place and save myself a little bit of work.

I've also noticed more difference between this release of the model and the new release I used for parts on the B-17F build.The newer release has raised panel lines molded into the floors of the cockpit and radio compartment. Another difference is the radio operator's table is got more detail molded into it with this early version of the model. Yet the most noticeable difference is this version has a different bomb sight then any other version of the B-17. This bomb sight is different than the one on the current B-17G and is actually a variation the one on the B-17F. A final difference between this release of the model and the current one is the machine guns. They don't have the detail in their barrela and are a lot like those that came with the B-17F that I ended up not using for that vary reason.

Even though I'm technically not ready to began assembly of the internal assemblies I've gone ahead and started painting the interior of the fusalge halves. Mostly giving them a base coat of interior green. It's a little sooner than I had planned and I'm not sure if I want to paint the entire interior of the fusalge the same color. For I've read the color of some sections of the plane would be different and there were several colors of paint used on B-17s ranging from interior green, yellow chomete, or even left bare aluminum. However I am definitely going to do the floors with the exposed woodgrain to create a contrast regardless of what color I end up painting the rest of the interior.
SAM_4203.JPG
SAM_4204.JPG
SAM_4205.JPG
SAM_4206.JPG
SAM_4207.JPG
Greg Bryan

July 19th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Work is coming along without any problems on the B-17G. Granted I decided not to open the doors to the bomb bay due to this release of the model not having any bomb bay details so that simplified the build some. Plus except for a few modifications I'm keeping this a box stock build. So my focus has been on painting the internal parts starting with the floors then working on the bulkheads then the interior of the fusalge halves.
SAM_4208.JPG
SAM_4211.JPG
SAM_4214.JPG
SAM_4212.JPG
I still need to do a little detail painting on the bulkheads and the inside of the fusalge halves. I've also replacing all the machine guns that came with the model with a combination of resin, and the ones taken from other B-17 models. Namely the tail guns, ball turret, and top turret are being taken from a B-17G I built several years ago. While I still have the chin turret and a couple of the individual guns from the model I used for parts for the B-17F. I have also cast several of resin guns for the waist gunners positions, the radio operator's gun and a bomb sight.
SAM_4209.JPG
I'm also trying to decide if I want to try and add some detail to the ball turret like I did with the B-17F. Along with modify the mounting points for the cockpit and radio compartment due to them having mounting tabs that are visible. Though while I know from the B-17F that mounting the cockpit is a whole lot easier than the radio compartment so I may just have to live with the stock mounting tabs being visible.