1/48 scale B-17 build

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
Greg Bryan

June 26th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I'm getting closer to being able to close up the fusalge halves. I've got the last modification to the fusalge done. Namely grafting the navigator's dome from the B-17G into the nose of the B-17F.

I've also got the windows fitted into the sides of the nose and have blended them into the inner walls of the compartment. Now the inside of the windows are currently masked off to protect them from super glue fumes from attaching the resin parts I've cast. I also want to apply a coat of dull coat once I've finished painting so I'm going to keep the masks in place until then.

Outside of the details taken from the B-17G additional details are limited to three oxygen tanks, a ammo box, and some wiring along one side of the nose do to me having concerns about being able to see them once the model is finished.

SAM_4158.JPG
SAM_4159.JPG
SAM_4160.JPG
SAM_4161.JPG
Greg Bryan

July 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm

SAM_4177.JPG

I'm practically done with the interior of the B-17F and I'm almost ready to glue the fusalge halves together. I've got the final detail painting done on the cockpit and made throttle levers out of wire. Using a idea I picked up researching other B-17 builds I glued a thin strip of sand paper in the center of the floor to create a non-slip walkway.

I added other non-slip walkways in the radio compartment, bomb bay catwalk, around the ball turret, and in the center of the floor in waist gunners compartment. I've also glued in the ammo boxes. Only this time I've glued them to the fusalge rather than the floor piece like I had originally planned.

I've also decided against mounting the bombs in the bomb bay. The reason for this is the same reason I chose not to open up the bomb bay doors. I'm concerned about the wing mounting tabs hitting them and decided not to chance it becoming a problem.

Unfortunately I've also hit a snag in my plans that's going to delay the build for a little while. I have chosen to build this as the Iza-Valable a B-17 with the 303 bomb group. However my model shop's supplier is out of the Kits-World decal sheet with this plane on it. Now I'm stuck waiting for them to become available.

So I've decided that I'm just going to finish up the interior but stop short of glueing the fusalge halves together until either the hobby shop can get the decals or I can find another set from a different source. In the meantime I will finish the P-40 and use what I've got finished on this build as a reference while I build a second B-17G I picked up recently.
SAM_4180.JPG
SAM_4181.JPG
SAM_4183.JPG
SAM_4184.JPG
SAM_4185.JPG
SAM_4186.JPG
Greg Bryan

July 23rd, 2019, 3:21 pm

I've gone ahead and assembled the fusalge and wings of the B-17F and have sprayed a coat of grey down. Now i've still working on the seams but it's nice to have the plane together finally.
SAM_4215.JPG
SAM_4216.JPG
Greg Bryan

July 29th, 2019, 5:16 pm

I've got the main painting done on the B-17F. I also had a final modification to make on the model. I tracked down a couple of more pictures of the real Iza-Valable and saw the placement of the machine guns through the nose was different than on the Memphis Belle. They are right next each other going through the vary tip of the nose.
SAM_4227.JPG
SAM_4228.JPG
SAM_4229.JPG
So I took the clear nose piece from the parts model masking off everything but the small piece of framing and a small rectangular section around where the machine guns would go. After I drilled two holes at the desired location I gave the nose a coat of interior green. Next I took two of my home made resin machine guns and glued them together after checking to be sure they would be positioned correctly. Then rather than cut out a small rectangular section around the machine guns I sculpted the canvas boot out of epoxy putty both around the gun barrels and on top the the before mentioned unmasked section of the nose.
-

-
Now before I applied the epoxy putty I made sure to wet the gun barrels so the putty wouldn't stick to them. This allowed me to remove the guns so I didn't have to mask off the barrels and risk breaking them when I painted it.
42-2973-1200px-600x363.jpg
SAM_4230.JPG
Now I've got take the engines and cowlings off to paint them. But like the nose, radio compartment window, and the windows for the waist gunner positions they are just glued in place with Elmer's glue so they should come lose without to much difficulty.
Greg Bryan

August 3rd, 2019, 6:30 pm

With the exception of a few small details I need to take care of painting is pretty much done on the B-17F. I've also started the application of the decals on the wings.
100_0761.JPG
100_0762.JPG
100_0763.JPG
100_0764.JPG
100_0766.JPG
100_0767.JPG
Greg Bryan

August 13th, 2019, 4:20 pm

I have finished work on the B-17F and I think it came out pretty good. I did decide not to do any weathering on it preferring to go with the restored look.
SAM_4305.JPG
SAM_4306.JPG
SAM_4307.JPG
SAM_4308.JPG
SAM_4307.JPG
SAM_4308.JPG
SAM_4309.JPG
SAM_4310.JPG
SAM_4313.JPG
SAM_4311.JPG
MSgtUSAFRet

November 3rd, 2019, 2:13 pm

This looks like a very nice build, Greg, and you've found very inventive solutions to overcome some obstacles!

Are you going to make a diorama of these planes or how do you intent to display them?

Curious cause I'm building my 1/48 bomber, too, and need ideas for display.

Thanks and well done!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!
Greg Bryan

November 10th, 2019, 7:05 am

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
This looks like a very nice build, Greg, and you've found very inventive solutions to overcome some obstacles!

Are you going to make a diorama of these planes or how do you intent to display them?

Thanks and well done!

Steve
I usually just hang most of my airplane models from my ceiling and that's my plan for this one. This is due to a lack of shelf space which rules out a diorama. Even though I think they do look cool.
MSgtUSAFRet

November 13th, 2019, 1:27 am

Greg Bryan wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:05 am
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:

Thanks and well done!

Steve
I usually just hang most of my airplane models from my ceiling and that's my plan for this one. This is due to a lack of shelf space which rules out a diorama. Even though I think they do look cool.
Hanging is good...well in some cases...ya know.. like models... :lol:

So what's next?!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!