TOS NCC-1701 1/1000 Polar Lights

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
705CO

February 15th, 2020, 2:35 pm

The navigation and formation lights are provided as one piece of plastic. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be a good way to light them. For my version the parts will be separated and a tiny 0402 SMD LED will be inserted. This should work similar to what was done on the ECTO-1 police lights.
TOS-17.jpg
"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space."
705CO

February 22nd, 2020, 7:07 pm

While the upper and larger half worked out as desired, the lower and smaller part did not. Hollowing out the light for the SMD LED led to the part breaking. The new plan called for .030 fiber optic flared with a lighter. A short section will be inserted into the hole from the outside of the hull and an LED will be either glued onto it or into a tiny lightbox that will surround the fiber section.
TOS-18.jpg
the flared part is just a bit wider, allowing it to stop when inserted. also some light blocking around some alignment pins
TOS-19.jpg
and what it will look like when inserted
"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space."
705CO

February 22nd, 2020, 7:42 pm

The nacelles will be lit with a 5mm white 'candle' LED. The bussard collectors are in two parts in this kit. The inner one will be filled with clear gorilla glue, hopefully diffusing the light. As there are two sets of nacelles in the kit, I'm going to test out my lighting ideas first.
TOS-20.jpg
TOS-21.jpg
this is brighter than the installed LED, but good to test my diffusion idea. (not diffused in this pic)
705CO

February 22nd, 2020, 7:44 pm

For the secondary hull (not the neck) one or two LEDs will be used. The one in this pic will be mounted to the back side of the deflector dish piece.
TOS-22.jpg
705CO

February 24th, 2020, 2:15 am

Last post for this weekend.
For the stern navigation lights I wanted to use a method where I didn't need to mask the lights while painting. To do this a piece of styrene tube just a bit bigger than the .030 FO was drilled out and an SMD placed in the middle. A hole for the .030 FO was drilled through the after portion of the secondary hull. Then, a small counter sink was drilled in each secondary hull section.

When assembling the hull a piece of FO will guide the tube into the recesses where it will be glued. Later, the FO will be removed and small 'mushroomed' pieces will be inserted, similar to the running lights.
TOS-23.jpg
The piece with the SMD is just a bit longer than the one shown
TOS-24.jpg
here the recessed area that will hold the end of the tube is visible
705CO

March 6th, 2020, 9:04 pm

As I was wondering how to mask the clear formation lights I realized that a simpler solution might be at hand. The styrene tube shown in the last post is just the right size for .030" fiber. Holes are drilled out to accommodate the tubing, lights added in, and then the exterior is sanded flush. A tiny piece of FO can be used to 'mask' the hole so the LED doesn't get painted and the final piece of 'mushroomed' FO can be added after painting.

So rather than countersink the rear lights and worry about the tube coming free, one piece of tubing that extends through the hull will be used with the light in the middle as done before.
TOS-25.jpg
what the single piece of styrene tube looks like for the stern lights
TOS-26.jpg
this is the upper saucer with the styrene tube
TOS-27.jpg
styrene tube with the LED installed
705CO

March 6th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Some of the windows will be dark, so to make them appear with the same depth I did the following:
-paint the open windows black
-cement a piece of styrene on the interior
-light block the styrene, then paint white like the rest

The lighted windows will be painted white.

Once painting is complete all the windows will be filled with krystal klear. (same process done for the Klingon D7 most recently)
TOS-28.jpg
MSgtUSAFRet

March 10th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Scott, no blarney here - you have some of the best lighting ideas I've seen!

I have always wondered how I was going to get that "same depth" for the non-lighted windows and, boom, there you have a solution! Thanks for sharing. Have you tested it yet?

I still have to go back and absorb what you wrote about the formation lights but I'm sure it will be equally cool!

Keep going and posting!

Steve
Admirals don't fly; do they...where's the fun in that?!
705CO

March 12th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Steve,
I used the same window technique on a Klingon D7 some time ago. I'll see if I can find a pic.

The formation lights are a bit tricky as upper and lower lights are only slightly offset by a small amount. So while I used a small piece of styrene tube (in the same manner as the stern lights), the tube must be really short and trimmed a bit where the two crowd each other. I've got them wired up and cemented in place, but I need to nip and tuck to get the saucer to cleanly seal.
705CO

March 13th, 2020, 12:25 am

Here is a shot of the D-7 with windows blanked off inside the hull, all windows filled with krystal klear.
D75-f-11.JPG
the dark windows are blanked off, all are filled with krystal klear